We purchased a 2009 Toyota Sienna this past Saturday! I have been researching the Toyota Sienna vs. the Honda Odyssey for the past month. We decided on the Toyota Sienna for a few reasons. Grady will no longer have to have his head accidentally bumped on the door frame of my Honda Accord. (This has only happened a few times, but I still feel terrible when it occurs.) Those huge sliding power doors! Absolute bliss! And the extra storage space in the back….it’s like a black hole in the universe. It can hold strollers, gear, luggage, and probably small children—although I don’t recommend that last one.
Sadly enough, this means that I must trade in my beloved 1999 Honda Accord. I have owned this car for almost ten years (just one month shy of ten years). I purchased it in Delray Beach, Florida in July of 1999. I had just graduated from UW-Madison and landed my first job as a middle school writing teacher at Donna Klein Jewish Academy in Boca Raton, Florida. My father and I flew to Florida for two days to find a place for me to live and to purchase my first car. It was a whirlwind trip with lots of decisions made in a short amount of time. I was given two choices by my Dad: the Honda Accord or the Toyota Camry. I thought the Honda Accord looked sportier. The choice has turned out to be an excellent one. (Thank you Dad for helping me make those big first decisions as an adult!)
My Honda Accord has carried me safely across the country in all directions. I drove it twice from Florida and back to Wisconsin, five times from North Carolina to Wisconsin, once from Wisconsin to Wyoming. It carpooled and commuted in North Carolina and Wisconsin. I traveled to over 20 states in it. I received one speeding ticket in it (Florida Turnpike and I completely deserved the ticket). I had two minor scrapes with my car, both involved rocks and backing up at a slow speed. Once, I hit the right side lower panel with a rock in North Carolina. The lower panel was duct taped back on (such a raft guide thing to do!). I did not have it fixed until I was back in Wisconsin. The mechanic said that it barely made it. My second run-in was with a rock on my wedding day. I was on my way to get my hair done that morning and backed right into a rock. I had other things on my mind.
It feels like an old, comfortable friend, so I am sad to see my car traded in. I hope some newly graduated college student purchases my car and takes good care of it. It does have over 163,000 miles on it, but it is still in good shape. I am certain it will make it to 300,000 miles.
Sadly enough, this means that I must trade in my beloved 1999 Honda Accord. I have owned this car for almost ten years (just one month shy of ten years). I purchased it in Delray Beach, Florida in July of 1999. I had just graduated from UW-Madison and landed my first job as a middle school writing teacher at Donna Klein Jewish Academy in Boca Raton, Florida. My father and I flew to Florida for two days to find a place for me to live and to purchase my first car. It was a whirlwind trip with lots of decisions made in a short amount of time. I was given two choices by my Dad: the Honda Accord or the Toyota Camry. I thought the Honda Accord looked sportier. The choice has turned out to be an excellent one. (Thank you Dad for helping me make those big first decisions as an adult!)
My Honda Accord has carried me safely across the country in all directions. I drove it twice from Florida and back to Wisconsin, five times from North Carolina to Wisconsin, once from Wisconsin to Wyoming. It carpooled and commuted in North Carolina and Wisconsin. I traveled to over 20 states in it. I received one speeding ticket in it (Florida Turnpike and I completely deserved the ticket). I had two minor scrapes with my car, both involved rocks and backing up at a slow speed. Once, I hit the right side lower panel with a rock in North Carolina. The lower panel was duct taped back on (such a raft guide thing to do!). I did not have it fixed until I was back in Wisconsin. The mechanic said that it barely made it. My second run-in was with a rock on my wedding day. I was on my way to get my hair done that morning and backed right into a rock. I had other things on my mind.
It feels like an old, comfortable friend, so I am sad to see my car traded in. I hope some newly graduated college student purchases my car and takes good care of it. It does have over 163,000 miles on it, but it is still in good shape. I am certain it will make it to 300,000 miles.
2 comments:
Dear Honda Accord,
AKA: Car meant to be driven by munchkins and elves! May you be used for salvage or in a demo derby at the county fair.
Maybe some kid could use you to drive his or her dolls around in.
Bon Voyage!
Ryan
That was a nice tribute Hill - long live first car memories!
(Matt hated my old car, too.)
Post a Comment