Friday, December 3, 2010

Good Deed December

After the frantic, hectic life of Christmas past, I've decided to change things for this Christmas. First of all, we've decided to skip or change some traditions that have been time consuming. We aren't sending over 160 Christmas cards this year. We're sending a Christmas newsletter to our friends on computers, and we're sending cards to those friends and relatives who are not as tech-savvy. I'm only making two kinds of Christmas cookies--not five kinds of cookies or treats. It takes a lot of energy and effort just to make it through a single day of getting up, getting kids to daycare, work, pick kids up, make dinner, give baths, playtime, read children's books, walk the dog, dishes, laundry, clean a small part of the house, (exercise occassionally), and pass out from sheer exhaustion. We're highly anticipating Audra sleeping consistently through the night! It's December 3rd, and our only Christmas decorations are our outside lights. Hopefully, interior house decorating will happen this weekend.

I don't mean to sound all downtrodden regarding Christmas, but here's my big change for Christmas 2010. Instead of worrying about all of the details of Christmas that need to be accomplished, what if we focus on the real meaning of Christmas? Celebrating the birth of Jesus and doing good for others. I have implemented a program in my classroom called "Good Deed December." My students are suppose to be aware of the good deeds they have done for others. Every day, they can write one good deed on a small piece of paper with their name. At the end of the month, we are doing a lottery drawing for Christmas cookies for a few of them. I know, it's an extrinistic reward. But I still think it is worthwhile to help teenagers to be aware of the good (big or small) things they can do.

Instead of focusing on accomplishing the checklist of Christmas, what if we focus on what we can do for others? If you so desire, post your good deed in the comment section.

Merry Christmas everyone!

2 comments:

The Mom said...

I LOVE it Hillary! LOVE it. I am all about remembering what Christmas is really all about. Here is my good deed: I am a kid watcher/Mom break giver. On 5 out of 7 days I will watch at least 3 other SAHM's kids, sometimes multiple families all at once, drive at least 2 kids in carpool 4 days a week, and deliver some kind of care package or meal to someone who needs it. I love to make someone's day a little brighter/easier! If your kids have such a great example as you, no doubt they will pass on the real meaning of Christmas to many more, just as you do! Go Mom!!

Hillary or Ryan said...

One of my students told me she did something that was really difficult. Background story: She said her 25 year old sister doesn't have a job; the sister has two children. The sister's husband just lost his job. My 17 year old student gave her sister $1000 for Christmas presents for the children and to help them out. Very impressive!