Saturday, May 1, 2010

Want to Go Fishing Son?

The weather made for a great opportunity to take Grady fishing for the first time. If you know Hillary, you probably aren't surprised she didn't come with us to celebrate the opening of fishing season. In case you didn't know, Hillary is not a fan of fish. She doesn't mind the bait or the beer battered final product. But she is just simply afraid of fish.
Grady and I picked him up his first fishing pole and then headed to Dodgeville to my parents house. Down the road about a mile from their house is a pond. That pond is the first place I can remember fishing. It was there that I caught my biggest fish, a Rainbow Trout. To this day it hangs on the wall in their basement.
Grandpa Gary got the fishing poles ready and the three of us took the ATV down to the neighbor's pond. He lets us bring the boys down anytime to fish. Dad has taken my nephew Luke a couple times. One of those times Luke actually fell in. Which brings me to today's objectives:
1. Catch a fish.
2. Spend some time with my Dad and my Son.
3. Keep everyone dry.
I am assuming Hillary's priorities were a bit different. She told me to take his life jacket before I left.
When I was little I can remember fishing with my Dad. I remember often needing him to untangle my line or reteaching me how to cast. I recall being bored if the fish weren't biting left and right. All things that we both knew wouldn't matter this first trip with Grady. Heck we knew we weren't going to be fishing long. It took about 5 or 6 casts before we landed his first fish. It was shortly thereafter that Grady decided he had enough for the day.
Grady and Grandpa Gary Grandpa shows Grady the proper technique. Patience... Success
Even though we only fished for a little bit, it meant a lot to spend time with the both of them. I look forward to when we can fish and hunt together some more.
Thanks Dad for today and even more for taking me fishing all those times.P.S. I bet you can't wait til the first time Grady hooks me trying to cast. Payback eh?
Movie Time

1 comment:

The Mom said...

Wow a great post! It brought tears to my eyes. It is neat to see how your Dad did fun things with you and now you are carrying on the tradition! It is great to see how great parents raise great kids who in turn become great parents! Someday Grady will carry on the same traditions...and the cycle continues!